Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Dear God, Please let this work!

Well hello there. Overall it's been a pretty good week. I spent the weekend at my dad's house which was great, although the Jets lost and will not be in the Superbowl. I picked up my new glasses and it's wonderful to see the world clearly, although somewhat scary but that's an entirely different level of conversation we don't need to have right now.

Lets start with the good news! First, my friends and I are signing the lease to an apartment on Friday! We will be able to move in on August 1st so this is for the fall semester. Seems so soon to be signing right? Well that's how student housing works. We are actually lucky so get this one, most other places have filled up already. Crazy.

Second, my dad is coming for lunch tomorrow! Random but exciting.

Third, and probably most exciting of all, on Monday I received an email from my stats professor from last semester, Professor Emeka who looks like Rick Fox, informing me of a very small class he is putting together, sociology 490x. What it is, is a directed research class. He's is basically putting together a group of a few students, no more than about 5, to help him with the research he is currently working on. It's a class so it requires a few reading assignments and a research paper at the end, but other than that we would meet for an hour once every other week or so to discuss our progress. What progress? The progress we would make on the research he would direct us on. Pretty much this is the opportunity to work one on one with Professor Emeka on his research on race/ethnicity and unemployment across the 298 metropolitan areas recognized by the census. How awesome is that? In order to add this 'class' I had to drop Families in a Changing Society which was bitter sweet because I had been trying to get into that class for 3 semesters and finally did, but sweet because it is being replaced with something so amazing. (I forgot to add that the research project could potentially run into being a paid summer pseudo internship). Obviously I jumped at the opportunity and did not hesitate at all to make these adjustments to my schedule, especially considering that the add/drop date is this Friday, I didn't have much time to mess around. Well I did all of this today. Tonight I was sitting here and all of the sudden realized that this 490 class may not satisfy the requirement I need to be satisfying this semester. To graduate I need to take 3 more what they call "theme" classes in sociology and there is a list of about 20 to pick from. I looked it up and 490 is not on that list but as it is not really a listed class, it's kind of made up as professors have research, I am praying that it will be able to supplement one of the 3 theme classes I have to take. If not, I'm pretty much screwed because I have no time to take extra classes since I am graduating early. Super screwed because they closed the Families class I just dropped and all the other theme classes are already closed. I hope the sociology department will work with me on this because this is a great thing I am very thrilled about doing. Pray pray pray this works out!

1 comment:

  1. Praying, praying!! Hope lunch with your dad was yummy AND fun! El Cholo??? ;)

    ReplyDelete