Monday, March 30, 2009

RIP Adri Bachan


I am not sure how many of you heard about the hit and run incident here at USC this past weekend. Here is a brief synopsis of what happened: Saturday night, or technically Sunday morning at 3 am, 2 USC students, a male and a female, were crossing the street at Jefferson and Hoover (using the crosswalk). A car came zipping through hitting both of them. The driver kept driving with the male student on the hood, stopped and shoved him off, then sped away. The male student survived and was in critical condition but is stable now. Unfortunately the female, Adrianna Bachan, was not so lucky. She died at the hospital shortly after arriving. I heard this news late Sunday morning and was upset about it. The more I think about it, the more upset I get. Can you imagine how upsetting that phone call was to her parents? To her roommate? I cannot even begin to imagine how I would react to that if that happened to my roommate. That is devastating. Adri lived in the same building I live in (I live on the 2nd floor, she lived on the 4th). I did not personally know her but I do remember passing her a few times. I remember that she was walking out and I was close behind and she held the door for me. The building just is not the same after hearing this. Sunday morning, before the name was released, I remember looking on facebook and seeing pictures posted by some friends who live in the suite next to us of the night before. They were hanging out with her at a party and she left before they did. The difference is she never made it back. She was so happy in those pictures, without the slightest knowledge of what would soon happen to her. Later that day everyone's status would soon change from talking about how fun that night was, to how much they miss her. The guys that were with her that night are understandably devastated. Guys that are usually happy and smiling most of the time are walking around with hoods on and sunglasses to hide how upset they are. It makes you think about how quickly things could change. She had her whole life ahead of her. She is just like me, a freshman at USC just studying to get to where she wanted to go in life but it was ended just like that, because someone could not just stop their car. That person never was caught, not yet anyways. While we are all mourning, they are off not knowing the pain they have caused to so many. It is not fair for that to happen to her. RIP Adrianna Bachan, you will be missed by all who have known you.

2 comments: